Friday, April 4, 2008

Goat Cheese - First try at Chevre

I made our first batch of Chevre last night. It had finished draining by 4;30 this morning when I got up. Our friend Marjory, who shares our goat herd, volunteered to be one of my testers as I learn the fine art and science of cheese making. She is coming by this afternoon to get a sample of this first effort.




I found it a bit disappointing. It was a bit grainy and mildly sweet. I think the graininess comes from too much rennet (it's measured in drops and diluted. But how big is a drop?) I'm not sure about the flavor. I'm going to have to go buy some today and compare. It's been a while since I tried Chevre, and that was flavored.
Last year we made Mozzarella. It turned out quite well most of the time. Most of it we pulled out into long ropes, cut into sticks and let the kids snack on them. Much better than the store bought cheese sticks, and a lot more fun to make. We will be making more Mozzarella this summer.
I'm planning to try Feta next. That is something we eat a lot of. I've helped make it before, so I have a feel for the process. We'll see how it turns out.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis