Saturday, January 31, 2015

Garden Planning - pottager - salad garden

I'm late in my garden planning, but I'm at least doing it this year.  In years past, the only planned thing has been either long term crops (garlic) or big projects (popcorn and pumpkins in a three sisters garden).  This year is different.  We are trying to feed ourselves.  So, planning is key.  First garden plan.  The kitchen garden in the pottager.  We built a pottager garden about 5 years ago and have used it extensively for our food since then.  This year we are expanding into a failed perennial space and really focusing the pottager on immediate use.  The garden will have three parts, the herb garden, the salad garden and the kitchen garden.  The salad garden this year will be an intensive project, aimed at providing salad and cooking greens year round.  I have a 10 by 10 space that I will divide into 20 spaces with compost mulch paths between.  I'll grow spinach, kale, chard, various lettuces, mustard, peas, radishes, beets, carrots, scallions, and a cherry tomato.  Everything will be instant use, rapid rotation.  Tomorrow I will post the map of the pottager salad garden and explore the pottager kitchen garden. 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis