Monday, February 26, 2018

Learning new stuff - Soil Horizons

I'm taking a class on soil on FutureLearn.  Here's the link https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/grow-from-soil-to-sky

Its a really cool, citizen science course gathering soil data from around the world.  As part of the course, we have started looking at the soil profiles where we live.  I will be making a new garden in my side yard this spring and was planning on doing some soil testing there anyway, so I started there with this project.  Here are some pictures of the soil profile I found.  I will follow up with test results when they arrive.


The top before I dug.


24-inch deep hole.  you can see the organic matter at the top and the divide between the A horizon and the B horizon (about 25 cm down)


a difference in color and texture between A horizon and B horizon.  In this photo the A horizon soil is the darker part on the right.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis