Monday, June 25, 2007

Garlic blossoms, goats, and good times





We have been busy these past few weeks. We had two of Connie's sisters and their kids here for a few days. Everyone had a great time. The kids especially enjoyed playing with the new baby chicks, milking the goats (a big hit with the sisters too), and squirt gun fights.





We had lots of fun cooking out, sleeping in the tent, and getting rained on.







We also made a new sign for the farm to let people know we had eggs for sale. We had several people stop after we put it up.







The cousins left on Saturday, on Monday we started Cub Scout day camp. A whole week of herding six first grade boys through various camp activities. It was fun, but I was exhausted by the end of the week.





It took us most of the next week to recover and get things back in shape here. The various farm projects are moving along. The baby chicks are growing fast, the older chickens are laying up a storm, and the goats and cows are trying hard to keep up with the grass. The gardens are taking shape (I have more bed space than I can deal with this year). We have tomatoes, peppers, summer squash, chard, lettuce, onions, beans, carrots, sweet potatoes, and garlic. There are a lot more things I had planned on planting but I ran out of time. I'm trying to concentrate on getting things ready for fall. I can't believe how fast the time is going, this past Friday we were clipping the garlic flowers. Soon it will be harvest time. We had to put up the "Sold Out" sign on Saturday. We ran out of eggs. It's nice when things start to work the way you planned.





clipping garlic blossoms









Julia is planning on taking one of our goats to the fair for 4H this year. Goat beauty and show training are new things for us. She is very dedicated to brushing and walking them daily.







As I was moving fence for the goats today I found a red-winged black bird nest. The parents were fiercely protecting the giant clump of grass where the nest with its four chicks was hidden. The goats and cows had grazed all around the clump, but not one leave inside had been eaten. I had been planning to mow the area now that the animals were finished (the grass had gotten a bit ahead of us) but I think I will wait. I haven't seen many red-wings in the area. I think they don't have much luck reproducing because everyone mows. I know they aren't a key species, but they help a lot with the bugs and I like to see them.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis