Sunday, June 1, 2008

Meet the new guys at the farm

We are welcoming two new boys to our farm. I expect they will be here for the next 18 to 24 months. There names are Porter (house) and Chuck (roast).

Porter has the star on his head. Chuck is classic Jersey.

We are still looking for some lambs to add to the mowing crew. The grass near the house was pretty unpalatable to the goats, so they didn't do a very good job. Half a dozen lambs would fix that problem, and would make great chops, ribs, and roasts. I may have to go up to the auction, but I'd rater buy from someone privately. You get better quality, and the local folks get more of the money.

The Farmers Market has been going well. Our main problem is we don't have enough stuff. We are the only vendor with produce this early in the season. (It is a very small market. Only about 40 vendors at it's peek.) Things are getting better, but it is really making me stretch. Cant seem to bring enough salad mix or fudge.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Oh my, aren't those two a picture! So envious of your four-legged critters. Thanks for the input on the chickens, by the way. What you outlined is what I'm hoping for, although we have a lot less space. So far they are still a little picky about scraps, but they are getting there!

Alan said...

I use my chickens as composters for all the kitchen scraps except chicken bones and avocado scraps. I just throw stuff out in what ever paddock they are in and they eat what they want. The worms and bugs take care of the rest. We don't generate enough scraps to keep a compost pile going, so this works well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis