Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A bit more on chickens

I seem to have failed to answer one of the questions posed by Robbyn. Advice for someone thinking about getting chickens.

The most important thing is to decide how many you want and what kind of relationship you want with them. Most people I know who only have a few chickens have them named and pamper them way too much. If you have a lot (more than 20) it's hard to get that attached to any one of them. Healthier in my opinion. I like raising them from chicks. They bond better to me and learn my system.

My friend Jack-of-all-thumbs at Self-Sufficient Steward has a great system using a permanent coop and rotates his chickens around his garden. You should check it out.

4 comments:

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

I popped over to Steward, nice and interesting blog his got. I so wish that I could keep chickens, but my husband says it's to much work....hm / Tyra

jack-of-all-thumbs said...

Many thanks for the nod, and apologies for just now catching up.

Alan said...

Good to see you back Jack. Hope you had a good time. Catching up is hard, good luck.

Robbyn said...

Still catching up with my reading...what wonderful replies you contributed to the chicken questions...thank you! I went back just now and posted them and linked to your site here. I also posted Jackofallthumbs' ...will check out the rotational garden system soon, as we had already come up with a notion of possibly trying to fit movable cages inside concrete block raised beds. As soon as I can get some sleep, I'll be investigating all the bloggy wisdom!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis