Thursday, February 5, 2009

"Some say in ice."

Robert Frost (1874–1963). Miscellaneous Poems to 1920.
2. Fire and Ice
(From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)
SOME say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.


I am tired of winter. Right now I'd welcome some fire. The ice has mangled one end of my greenhouse, so I'm behind getting things planted. (I'm not even going to show you pictures, it's too depressing.

However, my "otter children" love this weather. Here they are studying the difference in the friction coefficient of nylon and that of plastic. They have sleds, but those are boring.


Plastic


Nylon


Even the silly snow dog seems to like this weather.

4 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

I hear you. I'm getting awfully tired of the ice too. Today we are stuck in the teens. However we often get a partial thaw in February that reminds us spring is coming. I'm really looking forward to it and hope it doesn't pass us by this year. At least my blueberries are well insulated. They grow next to the driveway and get all the snow piled on them.

Anonymous said...

Ah, and therein lies the key to surviving winter -- get out and test your nylon, Alan. ;-)

inadvertent farmer said...

Kids and dogs, perfect winter combination...well next to the combo of woodstove and hot cocoa!!!

homebrewlibrarian said...

Whiners! Heck, we've had winter since the first weekend in October. Other than the five days of exceptional warming up into the 50s (causing all sorts of havoc), we haven't seen temps much above the mid20s since September. If the truth be told, we're actually coming into my favorite time of year - mid to late February. We get lots of clear, sunny days with temps in the high teens to low 20s and everything just sparkles!

Spring will come soon enough and I'll be busting my posterior with all sorts of outdoor planting preparations. But for now, I'm enjoying the laziness of winter.

Kerri in Anchorage, AK

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis