Friday, December 12, 2008

Waifs and Strays

The past few days have been cold, dark, and rather unpleasant outside. Inside we pile on the light, festive decorations, and fire to warm body and the spirit. All the creatures spend their time hunkered together to stay warm. Sandy, our 7 year old pound rescue dog who never liked to stay in the house, has decided that sleeping next to the fire at night is a good thing. (It's been a challenge, since he is a long haired stinky dog who refuses to take a bath and barely tolerates brushing, keeping things clean with him inside, but we welcome him anyway.) Our other strays snuggle together in the barn, sharing heat and companionship. Everyone seems to be waiting for the light to return.

This morning as I came in from the barn the phone rang. It was C calling from work. One of the preschool children she works with was suddenly in need of a place to stay. The details she could give me were sketchy, but apparently this medically fragile preschooler was now without a home. Not homeless with his family, just homeless, left to the state to deal with in this dark, cold time. C was calling to see if we could rearrange things here to accommodate him if they couldn't find another solution. Of course we could rearrange things. We set to work cleaning and moving things just in case. The kids were excited about having a visitor, and I was a bit overwhelmed by the logistics of how to accommodate a wheelchair bound, medically fragile preschooler in our inaccessible construction zone of a house. By 2:30 we were mostly ready. I called C to let her know. She was in a meeting exploring solutions, so we don't know what might happen.

So, here I sit, watching the snow fall and listening to the crackle of the fire, thinking of the waifs and strays, the throw-away creatures and children of the world with no place to go on this cold dark day, and I wonder what more I can do...

5 comments:

Barbee' said...

Poignant. Lovely post.

Anonymous said...

One stray at a time, that is all we can do. If we all could embrace just one, then all the throw aways would have a warm place to lay their heads.

Now don't even get me started about where I think owners of throw away pets should lay their heads (I'm thinkin' maybe the perverbial...or literal...chopping block) and that doesn't even begin to touch how I feel about those that abandon their children.

We should all think about what we can do for these little ones this season...and all seasons.

Thanks for the post to remind us. Kim

Penelope said...

Oh poor baby!
My heart always breaks at this time of year for all the child headed households in (South) Africa who will be spending the 'festive' season hungry and alone, if not cold at least...

Anonymous said...

So, here I sit, watching the snow fall and listening to the crackle of the fire, thinking of the waifs and strays, the throw-away creatures and children of the world with no place to go on this cold dark day, and I wonder what more I can do...

Alan, you always touch me with your posts, and never more so than with this one. You have a great, great heart. Did your visitor come to stay for a while?

A very Merry Christmas to you and yours.

jack-of-all-thumbs said...

A lump in my throat as well; though I'm reading weeks after the fact.

You have much to say, friend.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis