Sunday, April 5, 2009

Potager Construction - Day 4 - Trees

The bare root fruit trees we ordered for the potager arrived more than a week ago. I had originally planned to put them in the ground and work around them. I'm SO glad I didn't do that! What a nightmare that would have been.

Unfortunately, it has been too warm and they are starting to break dormancy. Not a good thing. So today, instead of resting as was intended, we worked on the garden beds in the potager and got the trees in the ground.

Here's how it went.


The beginning. The beds are pretty rough from all the construction.

We tilled, raked, picked weeds and grass out, raked, tilled, raked ...

Sandy supervised.

When it was all basically smooth we arranged the trees and planted.
(I put them in pots the other day to protect the roots and give them a bit more moisture.)

Then the inspectors arrived to check our work and eat any stray bugs.

After that it was clean-up time, then chores, dinner, dishes, showers, etc. Somewhere along the way the "Day Of Rest" got lost. Maybe next week.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Early to bed tonight, perhaps. :) Kudos on getting all that work done, though!

our friend Ben said...

OMG, stupid word verification is letting me comment! (Pause while I die of shock.) Yes, no rest for the gardener/homesteader/farmer, even on Palm Sunday. Good for you for getting your trees in the ground, and the future potager looks great! Glad Sandy and the chickens were there to supervise and take charge.

Daphne said...

It really looks like it is starting to come together. I can't wait to see it in the summer.

Olive said...

It all looks good. I LOVE your dog, if ever he should feel the need to run away, point him in my direction, down under !!

Alan said...

Seeing this much progress has been restful in its own way. Today (Monday) I watched it snow and threw dirt clods at the chickens. I love having them eat the bugs, but they make such a mess...

OFB, Sorry about the word verification. I turned it off once. Bad idea. There is a weird bunch of spammers out there. We will have to find a way to get you past it on things you want to comment on.

Daphne, It's snowing! Can't even allow my self to think of summer!

Olive. We keep Sandy pretty contained. Invisible fence. It's great. He is the best dog we have ever had. Got him at the pound. I'm sure he has a story. We love him. You should see him herd chickens.

Curmudgeon said...

Way to supervise, Sandy! Gotta keep the humans on task. The potager is looking great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis